Monday, April 11, 2011

Profile of artist Rajit Raghu

It is with pleasure I introduce Rajith Raghu - software proffessional and the next contender from 'Usha's Art Class' who will be making his debut as an artist in 'THE DRAWING ROOM MUSINGS' - group art show to be held from 16th May through 25th May 2011 at Chitra Kal Parishath Bangalore. Details of 'The Drawing Room Musings' art show can be seen in the side panel.





Super dad Rajith Raghu's agenda for the week includes his duties as a software proffessional, attending classes at the IIMB, strict workout regimens, and family life which includes keeping two very young children enteretained.

He took up the project of painting for the upcoming art show 'The Drawing Room Musings' with a smile on his face and although his contribution may not be big in numbers, his paintings are no mean achievement at all. This only goes to prove that - where there is a will there is a way.

Rajith Raghu presents Indian Figurative paintings of rural people who have impressed his thoughts since his childhood days. He is fascinated by the simple attire they wear and the simple proffessions they persue to earn their daily bread. Contentment is the key word he thinks.

Here is what Rajith Raghu has to say about himself.


Rajith Raghu


Native of Kerala, 39 yrs, Done B.E. Electronics and Communication, Diploma in Business Management, and is pursuing General Management program at IIMB.
Currently working with an IT MNC in Bangalore.


Email: rajithraghu@yahoo.com


Contact No: +919886633619.


Other than painting my interests are playing outdoor/indoor games like Tennis, Badminton etc and Swimming, Traveling, Long drives, Reading, Movies etc..

Early interest in Art:


My interest in drawing and sketching started while I was in 2nd standard. But I couldn’t put it on a paper neatly. So was a poor artist as a kid. But I had the urge and interest inside to sketch and paint. The breakthrough and turning point came when I was in 10th Std. We had to sketch cross section of ear, parts of insects etc. I was surprised myself after sketching cross section of the ear. The only thing I did was, took time and sketched patiently as I wanted to impress my teacher. After seeing my sketch I was surprised myself and got the confidence that I can draw and sketch.


I am very fascinated and amazed by the paintings of Leonardo Da Vinci, Raja Ravi Varma, Michelangelo etc., especially for their resemblance to reality. I also enjoy and admire paintings, sketches done by various artists in magazines and other locations. I try to explore their style and method of painting. All types of arts like Sketching, Painting, Caricature, Cartoons etc fascinates me


I did sketching of mostly curriculum based things like lab apparatus during pre degree classes, engineering drawing at NMAM Institute of Engineering College, Karkala.


In between I sketched faces of few celebrities and did some paintings (water colour, poster paints)..


After a long gap (Busy with work and family).. in 2010, I decided to enhance my painting skills. I joined Usha’s art class. I feel Usha is one of the best teachers I met. She is patient and doesn’t force her ideas on the students. I got very good fundamentals in painting after being part of her classes.


Paintings for Exibition:


Here I chose to depict rural people and their work . My childhood (2 to 5 yrs) was spent at my ancestral home at Etakkad, a small village in Kannur district. Those years were the closest experience I had with rural life. People wore simple dress, no electricity but kerosene lanterns at night, water was manually drawn from well, fire was from firewood and dry leaves, utensils were made of clay or aluminum..people did labor work like carpentry, weaving, yarn spinning, stone cutting for building house etc. Still I felt people lived content. Past few years I have been traveling to different places, I pass by many rural areas. I always liked the simplicity of rural life. People spend their entire life there without the luxury of technology, transport etc. I enjoy watching them at work. Most of them earn by using their skills in different areas. They use simple tools, knowledge from their parents and ancestors and are very good at their work. And the people around them support them for their living. I always wanted to paint and bring an instance of life of those people on canvas, while they are on their job and during leisure time.


Here is a sneak peak into Rajith Raghu's collection of Indian figurative paintings

Turbanman - painting by artist Rajith Raghu
acrylic painting on canvas 
\size: 20"x30" inch



This Turbanman from rural India is engaged in his favourite pass time of his day.   This painting is strikingly close to realism, and may even be called as 'super realism'.  The glare of the sun on the smoke is so vividly painted by artist Rajit Raghu.  The tight folds of the brightly colored turban stands foremost against the tiled wall in the background, giving an earthly look.  The elderly man gazes to his right with a twist in his body that is beautifully executed in this painting.   
'It happens only in India' - as they say it

Good Luck to Rajith Raghu.

To view more artworks of artist Rajith Raghu and also other artists of the show -- scroll down and also visit - http://usettyblog.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

  1. too good ....i am so impressed ..the detailing of turban is breathtaking ...wowwwwwww

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Truban man painting is excellent. The expression on his face and the detail work on the turban looks brilliant…it reflects the great patience and dedication with which you work

    ReplyDelete